Friday, October 9, 2009

Wal-Mart & Assorted Items

So I go to Wal-Mart the other day, and there's a guy and a lady in the front of the line I'm in, and he's wearing a T-shirt with a naked lady on the back. Now, I'm all for seeing naked ladies, under the right circumstances, and generally not those who go to Wal-Mart. This guy is about 60 years old and has tattoos on his arms, and the shirt says Choppers Inc. or some bullshit like that. I know, he's Mr. Outlaw. And to prove what a badass he is, he has to wear the naked-lady shirt so that all the kids at Wal-Mart see it. Impressive. Granted, this isn't the upper-crust Wal-Mart, and most of the kids in there already have the decks stacked against them, judging from the parents, so I guess I have to relinquish my naivete and accept the fact that I can't have a pleasant trip to Wal-Mart.
The same trip. there were two woman in between these people and me in line, and they had a baby in the cart. Whatever snack the baby was munching on soon ended up all over the floor. So the one lady sweeps it aside with her foot. I guess that's something, but why didn't ths lady pick the stuff up?
It all just brings this to mind: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

But it also begs the question: Why don't people do what they're supposed to do? Clean up your own fucking mess. Don't wear naked people on your shirt in front of the kids, or ever. In my case, don't go to Wal-Mart. Although it didn't matter so much that day, since, after Wal-Mart, I went to the convenience store. When I came out of the convenience store, a car was parked so fucking close to mine that I could hardly open the goddamned door. How far up your ass must your head be to not recognize that the person next to whom you are parking won't be able to open his fucking door? Or do you just not care? And the flag-football guys playing next to the soccer games for the 7- and 8-year-olds were profane, and they left their trash strewn all over the place. Profanity, like naked ladies, has its place, just not next to the little kids playing soccer.
Someone recently shared his consternation with me that a customer-service representative hadn't responded to his email after several days. "They say they will," he said. I asked him what planet he's been living on. Because you should always expect people not to do what they're supposed to do. It's like driving defensively. Then, your expectations will be fulfilled a majority of the time. You can be pleasantly surprised when someone actually does do the right thing, or the considerate thing, or the responsible thing. In the meantime, if you expect any different, you must have your head up your own ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment