Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Self-Aggrandizement Project

So there's this show called The Rachel Zoe Project on Bravo. I've only seen it once or twice, and, hey, I was on vacation, when the different latitudes skew the normal TV-watching compass.
Anyway, from what I can gather, this lady serves as an intermediary for actresses who want to buy dresses. She's like a real-estate broker, except she's a dress broker, because, well, I guess Demi Moore and Anne Hathaway can't buy dresses on their own.
And these apparently aren't run-of-the-mill dresses, since they cost more than my house. They must be worth it, though some of them are the ugliest fucking things I've ever seen, or at least no more appealing than what I've encountered at Wal-Mart. I must be unsophisticated, since I can't fathom how one would come to spend so much money on a dress and need a go-between to facilitate the acquisition.
Nevertheless, this is happening, and not only that, it's on TV. So I'm wondering what douche bag decided this should be on television. And why would anyone give a shit about this lady and the process through which the actresses apparently have to go to get a dress? And about the furniture this woman is considering buying for her house? The same people who wait outside the Academy Awards for hours to get a glimpse of the poseurs must be the ones who watch this show. Or maybe it's a reflection of there being too many channels.
There's this one episode in which there's a flood or a broken pipe or something, and the drama is over the top. This lady and her assistant and the token gay guy act like it's Armageddon. It's actually funny, and maybe that was the point all along, but somehow I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment